Thursday, March 9, 2017

Weeks 22 & 23: 2/22/2017 - 3/8/2017

Work Accomplished

I decided to combine this week's and last week's blog post, because I spent last week at OCWiC 2017 and on a graduate school visit and this week is our spring break. So, I was able to make progress on the data analysis for the StackOverflow project this week, while last week I was busy networking. OCWiC 2017 was a lot of fun and a great networking opportunity. I met many female students and faculty throughout Ohio that could be potential collaborators moving forward. I also attended a very informative talk about empowering future female programmers, which will inform our ACM-W chapter's outreach events. Here is a photo of me presenting my poster:


I also spent four days at Carnegie Mellon University on a graduate school visit. There I met many faculty and students in the Institute for Software Research. I really felt like it was the right fit, so I officially committed to CMU this week.

Finally, I wrote an R script to take the StackOverflow study data and sort it by column name for input into our data analysis.

Goal
Weekly goal(s) - In the next week, I will be taking some time off from research on the StackOverflow project for the rest of spring break and until I can touch base with Dr. Lazar and Dr. Sharif on the next steps.
Long-term goal(s) - Perform select data analyses appropriate for answering the following research questions:
  1. To what degree do programmers focus on key words that extraction techniques generate?
  2. To what degree do the top n keywords from our approach and the standard approach match our Oracle generated keywords?
  3. What are the best machine learning algorithms (informed by eye gaze) that can be successfully used to make predictions?
Outcome(s)
  1. Presented my poster at OCWiC 2017 and attending various talks and workshops there
  2. Visited Carnegie Mellon University and made my official decision to attend their PhD program in Software Engineering in the fall
  3. Wrote an R script to sort our StackOverflow data by column name and output to a new file

No comments:

Post a Comment