Sunday, November 27, 2016

Week 12: 11/15/2016 - 11/22/2016

This past week I traveled to San Francisco, CA for an onsite interview with Pure Storage, visited Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) for a graduate school visit, and reviewed Alyssa's write-up of the paper, Predicting Tags for Stack Overflow Questions.

My onsite interview with Pure Storage lasted three hours. I received a tour of their office, had two technical interviews, and one behavioral interview. The Pure Storage office was very inviting. It had open desks and discussion rooms, white boards, two kitchens, and a game room. The first technical interview was difficult, because I wasn't used to the type of question I was asked. The second technical interview went really well. I was able to come up with two different solutions to the problem and discuss the pros and cons of using both. The behavioral interview also went well. I asked about the different types of projects available for me to work on as an intern and how my skills would fit those projects. Unfortunately, Pure Storage doesn't want to more forward with me as an intern for the summer, but the onsite interview was a great learning experience as this was my first one.

The highlight of my week was my graduate school visit to CMU. I spoke with four different faculty members and three different graduate students about their research in software engineering, programming languages, and machine learning. I also learned about the graduate student culture and about helpful tips for my application. The research I found the most interesting after all of my discussions was research to turn the written English language into code automatically. It encompasses all of my interests in machine learning and software engineering. After my visit, I can confirm that CMU is my top choice for graduate school.

No comments:

Post a Comment