Saturday, October 29, 2016

Week 8: 10/18/2016 - 10/25/2016

This past week I was at the 2016 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing in Houston, TX. I had a great time networking with companies and graduate schools. I also saw some great talks.

At the career fair I visited many graduate school booth, because I am interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in CS. The recruiter from UC Berkeley that I met at Tapia was there and I was able to give her a few faculty names that she will contact on my behalf. My information will also be passed along to the MIT CS Department (their masters programs were there instead). Purdue wants me to send them a few faculty names, and I had a good experience visiting the University of Illinois's booth.

I am also looking for a summer internship, so I spent some time visiting different companies. I got an interview with Pure Storage after doing their coding challenge. It went so well that they recently invited me to an onsite interview in Mountain View, CA. I also received emails from Twitter and Facebook to start their interview process. Unrelated to GHC, but I have a Google technical interview schedule for Wednesday of next week! I am looking forward to seeing how these opportunities pan out.

I went to some great talks about Machine Learning in production, getting students involved in open source projects, and about conflict resolution. One of the RedHat engineers invited me to the open source panel and the conflict resolution talk. The names of each of the talks are as follows respectively: 7 Hidden Gems: Building Successful Machine-Learning Products, Open Source belongs in your class. Where do you start?, and Constructive Conflict Resolution: or how to make lemonade out of lemons. I really enjoyed the talk about getting students involved in open source projects, because it will be useful information for when I am a faculty member at a university.

I also visited the ACM-W booth and CRA-W booth!

Here are some pictures from the conference:





No comments:

Post a Comment