Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Week 3: 9/13/2016-9/20/2016

This past week I attended the 2016 Tapia Diversity Conference and had a great time!

I had interviews with Bloomberg L.P., Northrup Grumman, IBM, and BNY Mellon for summer internships. Northrup Grumman wants to move forward with an official offer and IBM will be contacting me in the next week. I also visited a lot of graduate school booths. The UC Berkeley recruiter requested that I send her three faculty I would be interested in working with, and I met the chair of the CS department at Brown when I won their swag raffle. I learned how to write a good graduate school application essay from the graduate school recruiters.

My poster presentation was very well received, and many of the poster session attendees seemed very interested in our work for CREU. I learned about other avenues for extending our research such as investigating why we can predict developer expertise. Being able to predict developer expertise well implies that there are underlying differences among the eye gaze features of expert and novice software developers. What are those differences and can we utilize them for teaching techniques/strategy heuristics?

Finally, I read the paper titled, Predicting Closed Questions on StackOverflow. The goal of this paper is to build a classifier that predicts whether or not a question will be closed given the question as submitted, along with the reason that the question was closed. The features used in this paper will be helpful in determining the features to use in our analyses.

Here are some pictures from Tapia:






No comments:

Post a Comment