Friday, September 9, 2016

Week 1: 8/30/2016 - 9/6/2016

As a newcomer to this project, I started off the first week completing the IRB Training Courses, and then reading about Rachel Turner, Michael Falcone, Bonita Sharif and Alina Lazar's eye tracking study, entitled 'An Eye Tracking Study Assessing the Comprehension of C++ and Python Source Code'. 

It's important to examine what programming language novices in my field of study will begin learning from the start of their course work because it can be the deciding factor of if they continue to pursue a degree in the computer science field or not. The results of the study showed that there was a significant difference in the fixation rate of lines of code that contained errors between C++ and Python, and I would have to agree with the conclusion. Learning a new language doesn't come without it's frustrations, but it's retaining those programming concepts from the beginning that help in the long run. 

I also assisted Jenna Wise and Dr. Sharif with multiple demonstrations of our eye tracking program at the Canfield Fair on September 4th, and more than anything, it was exciting to show participants how our technology can be fun! 

I'm eager to continue developing my path as a student researcher and as well as improving my analysis techniques. 




No comments:

Post a Comment