Thursday, January 26, 2017

Week 17: 1/18/2017 - 1/25/2017

This week, we discussed the best way to approach the data analysis. I will be using Apache Spark and the command line and running my data projects in the IDE IntelliJ. We weighed the advantages and disadvantages of running Spark through a virtual box, and found using an IDE might be the best way to go. 

I helped to give a demonstration about our eye tracking equipment and software last Friday with one of the graduate CS students at YSU to several groups of high school students. We showed them the interesting aspects of eye tracking as well as the advantages it brings to our field. The students enjoyed the Asteroids game where each time a user starts the game, they have to pop incoming asteroids using only their gaze. We also demonstrated using dual screens how the eye tracker records fixations of any user, and we asked some of the students to find different values on the YSU website. 

I gathered two students in the CIS department to participate in our study. This Friday, my first volunteer will be coming in to the Empirical studies lab. I hope to gain at least 4-6 more students throughout the semester so that we can continue to analyze fresh data. 

Next week, I will be finishing up my poster for the Ohio Celebration of Women in Computing based on the analysis of our first set of data. I will be attending the conference on February 24-25 with Dr. Sharif, Dr. Lazar, Jenna and a few other students in the computer science department. I'm excited to attend the talks (as it's my first technical seminar that isn't local) and I can't wait to hear from women with experience in the software engineering field!  What an exciting time to be a woman!  I will be sure to post photos from the seminar upon my return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment